The angle grinder is a common multipurpose power tool that occupies an important place at our workshop. A wide range of work, professional to DIY jobs at our home- angle grinder can do efficiently and easily. So this tool requires adequate care and regular maintenance to be in good shape and condition. While poor maintenance can make the tool shabby and poor performing.
Here you will get a complete guideline about the regular and periodic maintenance of Angle Grinder. But before that let’s have a look at why taking care of angle grinder is important
Taking Care of Angle Grinder is Important For
In simple words, operational efficiency is the performance and the strength of the machine. How the machine is performing and delivering the job is part of operational efficiency. Regular maintenance increase this of the machine. Since an angle grinder is known for its versatility, proper maintenance is a good way to enhance its efficiency as well as keep it ready for future projects because maintenance will give which part of the tool is damaged and what you have to change.
An angle grinder performs a range of jobs, cutting, polishing, removing excessive metal, etc. so it is possible any part of the tool can get damaged from these types of tasks or debris from the metal or concrete. Regular maintenance will allow you to know where you have to repair and this will increase the life span of the tool.
Regular maintenance includes regular cleaning and inspection. Another important matter you should always care about is the size of the disc. Before every use makes sure the attachment with the grinder is compatible to be used.
Reduce the Chances of Malfunction
When dust, debris start to accumulate on different parts of the angle grinder, the tool is likely to do malfunction however regular and proper maintenance can keep your angle grinder away from all these types of problems since it will allow you to remove all those particles from the critical point and joints of the angle grinder and grease the parts. It will not only reduce the chance of malfunction but also protect you and your tool from any kind of accident.
Angle Grinder Maintenance Guide
Angle grinder maintenance guide is something that allows taking care of the tool and it is helpful both for beginners and longtime users. A maintenance manual holds all the necessary information needed for effective regular checking. Let’s have a look at the maintenance guideline given below.
Start with Inspection
- Before starting any project do a thorough inspection and do whatever needs to be done like-
- Checking something like an angle grinder when it is connected to a power source Clean the external and internal surfaces of the angle grinder to remove all the dirt and debris.
- Make sure your angle grinder is greased properly. It will reduce friction and ensure good performance.
- Check all the power sources and connections before starting the operation.
- Check the power cables to ensure there is no crack or loose end on the insulation (plastic wrap of the cable.)
At last a friendly suggestion- before inspecting the angle grinder disconnect the power. If the tool is corded unplug it, and if it is cordless remove the battery. It is obvious you will use your hand and eye to do the inspection might seem innocent but if there is some crack or loss it could break and create a hazard.
Maintenance after using the angle grinder for 50 to 60 hours
Change the grease on a continuous basis. Once you have used the tool for around 50 to 60 it is mandatory to change the grease. Grease keeps the machine running avoiding friction.
Check spindle, wheel flange, and lock nut:
Ensure all these small attachments are in place. These small part plays a large role because together they keep the fast-moving wheel in place. Undoubtedly for the flawless operation of an angle grinder, each of them is important. During the inspection carefully examine if there is any-
- Loose parts: the lock should be tight and the spindle, wheel flange should be secured enough by screws.
- Cracks: after using for a long time crack can appear on the spindle, wheel flange, or lock nut and as a result, the wheel can break in the middle of the operation. Scrutinizing each of them carefully can save you from such an accident.
- Deformities: a deformed spindle or wheel flange can make the wheel shaky that creates extra pressure on the motor, decreasing its lifespan. A tottering wheel also results in a kickback during cutting the material which is obviously a major drawback during any project.
- Smooth movement: if there is no visible sign of damage, it doesn’t mean everything is alright. Give it a try by spinning the wheel flange around the spindle. If there is any problem rough movement will give a signal. Also, check the lock nuts which should be fit snugly.
Handles are another important part of the angle grinder which is often overlooked. This crucial part is expected to be last longer than the tool itself. Well, thanks to the quality of the tool available now, usually the handle does not wear out before the tool does. During inspecting the tool look for-
- Tighten: usually handles are attached with the grinders by using screws that can get loosen by the vibration from the operation. A simple turn and twist with the screwdriver can solve this problem easily.
- Loose covers or insulation: check if there is any crack or lose covers on the padding or insulation of the handles. This type of cover not only provides extra grip but also protects from electricity. To keep a firm grip on the handle and avoid any kind of accident, checking the cover should be on your top priority list.
The angle grinder depends on the power source to operate. It can be electricity (corded) or a battery (cordless). Undoubtedly it is important to check the supply source both for corded and cordless-
- Examine the cord: Corded angle grinder rely on a wire or cord for power supply. Exposed wire results in electric shock and that is dangerous as well as can ruin the whole work.so Keep checking the cord regularly.
- Check the battery: cordless grinder runs on battery. After using it for a certain period, inspect the quality of the battery and then connect it properly.
The angle grinder can do versatile jobs but not without accessories. Keeping your angle grinder running, do not forget to check the accessories regularly, because for a flawless job, all the accessories should be in an up-to-date position and broken ones should be replaced.
Look for wear-down parts: accessories of an angle grinder are expected to wear down from its rough job. If you don’t replace them in time the operation will be harder as well as hamper the project speed and quality. Wear out accessories can even cause injury to the operator, damaging the grinder due to kickback.
Check out the fit: wheels may not fit on the spindle for different reasons like wear out, damage, not suitable for that specific model, and so on. Whatever the reason is, use only that fits the grinder properly and tightens properly.
Test: Out of carelessness angle grinder can be dropped from your hand and in that case if doubts come to your mind that any of the accessories is damaged then go for a test run. Be extremely careful and run the angle grinder for at least one minute with no loads. If anything is really broken it will come out within a minute. If everything is alright then you can expect your tool is fine.
Fix the Issue: If any issues come out, then fix them as soon as possible. If you think you are not qualified enough to do so, seek helps from professionals. Just remember one friendly recommendation: use identical accessories to replace the damaged one.
Disassemble, Clean, and Resemble
to clean and check the angle grinder properly you need to disassemble the accessories and reassemble them again.
To Disassemble the Angle Grinder
- Read the manual guide provided with the angle grinder and take notes carefully
- Before dissembling the angle grinder make sure it is properly disconnected from the power source.
- Now unscrew the bolts and loosen up the tightening one by one disassemble the parts and accessories of the grinder.
- Take away the blade carefully and keep it in a place separately
- Now take of other attachments like the auxiliary cable, carbon brush, etc.
To clean the accessories and crucial part of the angle grinder:
- Take a lint-free linen cloth to wipe the parts of the angle grinder
- To remove the dirt from carbon brushes use dirt remover. If the size of the carbon brush is reduced to less than 5mm, it’s better to change it with the new one.
- To avoid rust on the blade do not use wet cloths. A rusty blade can create the most serious accident. To get the most effective cleaning use rust remover spray on the baled
- Use an air blower to clean the compressor then wipe it off with a soft clean towel.
- Do not neglect the motor and the bearings, wipe the dirt off them with lint-free sackcloth.
After done with cleaning it is time to reassemble the parts-
- Follow every step that you follow while dissembling the grinder
- Make sure every part and accessory- motor, bearings, and auxiliary handles are fitted in place
- Replace the blade and make sure it is fastened firmly
- Check the on/off switch and power cord are well connected
If you are sure everything is in place, connect the angle grinder with power and run for a minute to ensure reassembling has been done properly.
Keeping your angle grinder in the best condition and running is as important as buying one. If you take off your tool properly it will save you some time and extra money that might be needed for unnecessary repairing. Remember, cleaning and replacing is not a difficult job. Just go through the manual. Hopefully, you will get enough help from it. Or else some professionals can help you anytime.